Sorry for not posting over the past couple of days!!! We've been busy with numerous things... but we're in Guangzhou now!!! We arrived last night. We are staying at the Riverside Hotel... this is a first for CCAI families, as they usually have families stay at the White Swan or the Victory. Due to the Trade Fair, rooms were very expensive, so we ended up staying here (which is not even on Shamian Island). Scott and I like our room... it's a good size with a WONDERFUL view of the Pearl River. It's especially nice at night. We're planning on taking a walk when the sun goes down so we can take lots of pictures.
Courtney is doing so well today. We had a rough day on Thursday... she was grieving and having a hard time understanding the word "no," but that has passed. She woke up Friday morning in a great mood and has stayed that way. The tears only come when I walk away for a moment... but she's starting to get used to Scott now too. She loves playing games with him and feeding him Cheerios, but she's not too keen on having him hold her yet. I'm totally enjoying the snuggle time!!! :) I really think that all the kids in our travel group are doing well... and Courtney has lots of boyfriends!!! There are 10 families in our group, and 8 of them have adopted little boys!!
We had to go for the dreaded medical exam today. Courtney did great during the exam... MUCH different than Katelyn! She didn't care too much for the TB test or the two vaccinations she had to receive, but overall things went well. This was also our first view of Shamian Island under construction. Sooo sad to see such a beautiful place all torn up. It just doesn't look the same right now. :(
Scott is doing some paperwork right now for Courtney's US Visa while Courtney and I are playing. When we're just in our room she's been walking without her AFOs on... she is doing so well!!!!!! She also tells us when she has to go poop!!! For a child with spina bifida, this is WONDERFUL!
I'll post more later with pics!!
5 comments:
I've been anxious for more updates. You've been on my mind constantly. I'm so pleased that Courtney is doing as well as she is. Bring on the pics!!!
GREAT NEWS on all counts, Nicole! So sad about the changes to the Island...hopefully it will somehow retain some of its original charm through the construction.
Glad to hear about Courtney's progress in learning, adapting and bonding with you both. Oh, and the AFO and poopy news is wonderful! LOL It's the small things that are really big things, ya know?!
Hugs to you guys...can't wait to see some more pictures (hint, hint!).
I'm so glad things are going well! she's is SOOOO cute and looks like a happy child. Her English sounds better than Katelyn's when you adopted her, yes? That will help integrate her into the day-to-day activities of the family, I'm sure!
All the best!
Hi guys, I've been watching Courtney's successful adaptation to your family, and it's heartening to see how she's already bonding with you. I know you thought it might be rough because of her fostering situation, but your love and patience is evident. I really enjoyed the video of her dancing and clambering up the slide at McD's. Her expression is relaxed and she doesn't look at all uncomfortable or worried. She is a loving, sociable, and engaging child and your family is a perfect fit for her. I hope you share some video of her meeting her brothers and sister for the first time, if it's not too emotionally charged. Take care and best wishes to your family. Tracy Lesh
Hey Gower Family,
Great to hear from you and even better to read how well things are going. I bet it feels good to be in GZ, almost home. Sad about Shamian, I can't wait to see the photos.
Of course, what we all really want is more photos of your precious girls.
Hugs to you.
Post a Comment