Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Today's Surgery

Finally... a chance to post!!! Katelyn has been hogging the laptop to watch her Dora movies!! :o)

First off, everything went well today. They gave her some oral meds to relax her a bit, and then they wheeled her off to the OR. She didn't cry or anything... It took them about 45 minutes to get her settled and ready for surgery. The surgery itself started at 8:37am, and they began closing at about 10:40am. The neurosurgeon came to talk with us at about 11:30am and told us that he was very pleased with how everything went. She was VERY tethered and VERY tight... it was a good thing that we did the surgery now (YAY!). He said the job they did in China wasn't too bad... although it did take him a little while to figure out where things were when he got in there (yes, we have pics).

It took Katelyn a while to come out of the anesthesia... and she was quite upset when she did. Even with the pain meds she stayed awake up until just a few minutes ago. Now she is sleeping soundly, and hopefully will be out for the night. The hardest thing so far has been not being able to hold her... she keeps reaching for me to pick her up and I can't do it... :o(

She is actually able to lay flat on her back, which is nice. I had expected her to be on her tummy like everyone else had said, but they said she could be on her back. She's been eating and drinking with no problems... the little princess even got to eat a Popsicle in bed a little while ago! They would prefer to keep her flat for 72 hours, but her neurosurgeon said we'll be lucky if she cooperates for 48 hours! He feels that she should be fine... so if she really starts fighting it, she may be able to sit up a bit. We're still hoping to be home by Sunday evening.

Ok... that's about it for now. I do have some pics from earlier today, but since Katelyn is sleeping, I really need to try to get some rest as well. It has been a LONG day!!!! Many thanks for all the prayers and good wishes... they were greatly appreciated!!!!

8 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm so pleased to read that it went as well as it did. You've both been on my mind all day. I pray that you get some much needed rest this evening.

All our love!!

Jaime said...

Nicole, what a blessing! I am so glad she is out safe and sound. Hopefully she gets a good nights rest. Sending recovery prayers!

Angela said...

Yeah! I've been sending good Karma your way all day! Hang in there. the second day is always fun, but you are both champs and will sail through!

Love,
Angela

Margaret M said...

So glad that the surgery went well! Hope the recovery goes well too!!!

Brian and Megan said...

Nicole,
I am so glad that the surgery went well. I'll be praying for sweet rest for both of you and a speedy and seamless recovery for Katelyn. Thanks for your encouragement and sharing your experience.
Megan

Amy said...

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well! Praise God!! I hope the recovery goes smoothly and you are able to be home soon. Take care of yourself and get some rest!!

I hope you have help planning summit and don't have to worry about that in the midst of all this!

ChinaCalling said...

So happy to hear the surgery went well and I hope the recovery is swift and painfree.

KC said...

Nicole,
I'm so glad to hear Katelyn is doing well after her surgery. I check in every once in a while to see how she's doing. I'm not on the computer much anymore, but I wanted you to know Katelyn and your family are in our prayers. God Bless.
:) Kelly E.
(a CCAI family and Central Florida girl!)