Monday, April 20, 2009

Another One of Those Weekends

My mom came up on Friday evening to visit and see the kids. She also needed help figuring out what was wrong with her computers (laptop and netbook). Scott figured out that it really wasn't her computers that were messed up... it was her wifi system back at home. So we determined we would just pick up a new system for her on Saturday...

Mom wanted to watch the kids for us on Saturday evening so we could go out and enjoy dinner and a movie... woohoo, date night. Prior to date night, Scott and Andrew went up to church for a workday, and Mom and I went out with Jacob and Katelyn to go shopping and eat lunch (at Friendly's, of course). When we got home, Mom took a short nap (knowing very well that she'd need the rest to keep up with my crazies!). I was getting Katelyn up for her nap (and was preparing to get Mom up too) when Katelyn had a bad case of diarrhea. Yep... a side effect of her antibiotics that she's taking. Great. Mom insisted that we still go out, but by the time we were ready to go we knew we'd miss the movie... so we decided to just eat dinner and stop by Bestbuy to pick up her computer stuff. No movie... but we could rent one and watch it at home...

Turns out Katelyn didn't have any more issues... which was great. We got home around a little after 9pm and the kids were in bed. Ahhh... movie time... well, maybe not. Just before going to bed, dear, sweet, little Jacob had been playing Webkinz on my laptop and had gotten a little distracted. My laptop literally crashed... to the floor, that is. My laptop was not happy... it could not detect a hard drive at all. Ahhhh!!!! Keep in mind that my home computer crashed earlier in the week. Yeah... maybe it was one of those weeks. Also keep in mind that I have a huge event coming up this weekend, and all my stuff needs to be done on my laptop. Breathe, Nicole, breathe!!!

Fast forward to now (since Sunday wasn't much better)... my laptop has a new hard drive... had to reinstall everything (thank you Scott and Fred). Not sure if anything will be recovered from the hard drive, but we did (thankfully) back up things from the home computer a few weeks ago, and I had only been saving things on my laptop for a couple of weeks... now a good bit of that stuff was for the event coming up this weekend, but we'll manage. Oh, and we never did get to watch the movie we rented. Actually, we started it (after trying to figure out if the laptop could be saved and working on my mom's computer)... but it was so late at that point that we both fell asleep (yep, we crashed too).

Sooooooooooo ready for a break... maybe if I claim I'm going insane some one will put me in a padded room and let me rest! Probably not a good idea... but I do need a break. Hmmm... have to figure out when to schedule that. Any ideas???

6 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I can totally relate. Sorry that your computer has had such serious issues. You are smart in backing everything up. I need to remember to do that more often. I've been wondering how Katelyn's recovery has been going. Sounds fairly well. Woo hoo!

Angela said...

I hear you! I've discoverd mini-spa of sending kids to school, day sitter for little one and off to nail salon to do manicure/pedicure and a lunch by myself! Not terribly romantic, but yeah, we do what we can.

Carrie said...

So sorry-yes we have had our computer acting weird when something big is coming up on the computer too-hugs
Carrie

Unknown said...

The fun continues! Tell your mom I said hi :-)

Whenever Erinn and I get near Orlando we have to stop at Friendly's to eat because it reminds him of his childhood on Long Island. There is supposed to be a Friendly's in Sarasota as well.

Amy said...

No breaks until after summit Nicole! Personally I'm planning to spend Sunday afternoon doing a whole lot of NOTHING!

BTW, I am totally jealous that you have a Friendly's down there. I really like their ice cream sundaes. Unfortunately they have all gone out of business up here. Boo!!

Clint and Jennifer said...

You had me laughing with this one Nicole. Not that all the computer woes are funny (I've had my own recently!) but when you said that about the padded room, I thought, "Can I come too?"

Here's hoping you get to watch that movie and get a break real soon.

Hugs,
Jen