Sunday, March 22, 2009

Weekend Wonders

So, Nicole, what did you do this weekend???

Well, since you asked... we had a rather eventful Saturday. Yep... you guessed it... part of the event involved something new with Jacob.

The morning started off like any other Saturday... kids watching cartoons, eating breakfast... no big deal. I had to leave around 8:20am to go marry a couple. For those that didn't know, I am a notary, and in Florida, notaries can perform weddings and sign off on the paperwork. This couple will be having a big church wedding in a few months, but they needed to get the paperwork done since one of them is only here on a temporary visa.

Anyway, everything went well... very informal type thing... I drove back towards home and stopped off at the grocery store to pick up supplies for our little get together that evening. We were having some church friends over to play flag football followed by food and Rock Band. Ah, yes... a fun-filled evening! After getting the supplies I headed home. We ate lunch and everyone helped clean up the house. We finished cleaning up much earlier than I had thought... I put Katelyn down for a nap, and Scott took the boys outside to wash the van. Time for some quiet relaxation before the evening events...

Well, the relaxation didn't last for long... with about 40 minutes to go before our friends were to arrive, I was typing an email to a friend, and Jacob was sitting over by the TV. I glanced over and noticed that he was trying to blow his nose without a tissue. I got up and handed him a tissue and he told me his nose hurt. Ok...

"Jacob, why does your nose hurt?"

"I sniffed up a needle, Mommy."

"What?!?! You're kidding... What do you mean a needle?"

"You know, one of those things that you put the string through..."

My mind is racing... a needle?? How could he possibly have gotten a needle?? Then again, what else could look like a needle to him that you could put string through? So I go and fetch the flashlight to look up his nostril (the right one, in case you were wondering). I look up there and see something blue and plastic looking. Now, I know I don't have any blue plastic needles, and at this point I just can't think of what this might be... so, with 30 minutes to go till our guests would arrive, I grab my bag and Jacob and head out to the van.

"Honey, I need to bring Jacob to the hospital."

"What, what's wrong???"

"Something is up his nose and I can't get it out."

"Uhhh... ok..."

So off we go to the hospital. Of course, all the super slow drivers just happen to pick that time to be on the road as well... and there's no way to pass anyone. Ugh! We finally arrive at the hospital to notice there sure is a lot of construction going on. I park and try to figure out how to get in there... once inside I speak to the registration guy. Now, I know this is not the first time a child has come in to get something removed from his/her nose... but we still got our fair share of giggles throughout the process.

It took a while before we were actually seen... and Jacob actually fell asleep for about an hour of our wait. He woke up just as they were coming to our little curtained off room. They looked up there and determined they would need a paperclip. What?!?! A paperclip? So in comes the paperclip... but the object was stuck up too high and it wasn't working. She tried again... still no luck. Jacob remained very calm (I told him he needed to be brave like a Jedi) but started to get a little upset when they couldn't get it out. Then they tried another hook type thing, but that didn't work either. Finally it was decided that I needed to assist them. Ok, I'm ready... what should I do???

"Alright, Mom, put your mouth over his and breathe in his mouth while we pinch the other nostril."

"Seriously?"

"Yep."

So I did... then I had to do it again... a little harder this time (good thing I had just eaten a mint!). It must have pushed down the object a little because the next time they stuck the hook up there it came out. A beautiful blue bead... At this point Jacob started crying. I think he had finally had enough... but he really did very well throughout the whole thing.

"Jacob, why did you have the bead up your nose, honey."

"I was trying to smell it and I sniffed it up... but I won't sniff any more stuff, Mommy."

We made it back home about 2 hours after our guests had arrived... just in time to eat. Everyone was glad to see that Jacob was ok. We continued our evening of fun, and Jacob played with all his friends and told everyone about his trip to the hospital.

Ah, yes... another interesting day in the lives of the Gower family!! :o)

10 comments:

Teresa =) said...

OMG...that is the funniest thing I've read in a very long time!!! I was at the edge of my seat to see how it all turned out. Hilarious!!

Thank goodness it wasn't a needle!!

Oh...glad Jacob's OK, by the way!

Teresa =)

Musings from Kim K. said...

Oh my goodness. I'm glad it wasn't worse, but you certainly had your moments of patience on Saturday. Wow. Let's hope the rest of your week is stress free (hee hee).

Love ya!!

NeuroMama said...

Wow! That must have been scary for you. I'm glad you posted the story because our 3-year-old loves to "mell" (smell) everything! Glad he's okay now.

Raine
CCAI WCP

kitchu said...

oh my GOSH... i always say in posts about kids, "can't wait for these moments"... but that is not the case here! glad he's okay and way to go mom! did they cut you a check?!

Pnutservr said...

Nicole--that was so funny, now I mean, not while it was happening!

Angela said...

Kudos to mommy power. You are officially a super hero that can blow things out a child's nose!

I'm sure at the time it wasn't funny, but its a good laugh now!

Nicole said...

Good point, Kris!!! I should have asked for a discount since I had to participate in the removal of the foreign object. :o)

Nicole

Carrie said...

Oh my word! I am glad your baby is ok! Yep I can totaly see a boy doing that! My boys do things my girl would never do!

Teresa =) said...

Nicole -

As a pediatric nurse who utilizes parental help ALL the time, I always say, "You can do half of my work, but I'm not giving you half of my paycheck." It always gets at least a smile from even the most nervous parents.

Teresa =)

We5Chois said...

Nicole,

What is it with kids and noses?

BTDT, didn't have to go to ER though, thankfully, I got it out at home. Glad Jacob is okay and I just know he is going to hate listening to that tale as he grows up -lol.