Tuesday, May 3, 2011

SB Funny

Dealing with SB related issues has become so normal for us, that we really don't think about things like cathing and AFOs and such. Just a little while ago I received a phone call from Courtney's preschool teacher (who is super sweet!!!). Apparently the kids had decided to play "beach," so Courtney took her shoes off. Ms Kim didn't think anything of it until it was time to put shoes back on and she didn't know what to do with Courtney's AFO!! 

I had totally neglected to show anyone at the school how to take the AFO off or put it back on... it just didn't even cross my mind! Poor Ms Kim was so worried that Courtney would hurt herself walking around without it, or that she would hurt Courtney trying to put it back on. So I headed over there to help Courtney and show Ms Kim what to do in the future.

While there, Ms Kim told me that the kiddos had talked about boo boos at one point, and the kids showed each other their boo boos. Of course, Courtney decided to show off her very large scar on her back from her surgery back in September. It's not a normal scar because it didn't heal well (look up keloid and you'll see what I mean). The kids didn't know what to think of it... but they were obviously very concerned for Courtney. Ms Kim said that they all wanted to touch it and some even leaned over to kiss Courtney's boo boo. Courtney, who LOVES attention, had no problem with any of this as the kids continued to ask her if it hurt or anything. Ms Kim said it was a very touching and emotional moment for her to watch the kids being so concerned about one of their classmates.

Sometimes we just forget how amazing our girls really are... to us, they are our daughters... yes SB is a big part of their lives, but it doesn't define them. Still, to others, it's a huge deal. All the more reason to continue to spread awareness and educate others so they aren't afraid, nervous or uncomfortable when dealing with kiddos that just happen to have SB.

3 comments:

Adrian Roberta said...

Amazing! I love how Open Courtney is, Ping doesn't really understand about SB, she's never even felt her own scar as she can't reach that high up her back (between her shoulderblades) I always wonder how it explain it.....

Teresa said...

Oh my gosh, Nicole, I have the same thoughts about my kiddos. Honestly, if it weren't for the IEP meetings I am constantly having to schedule for Carson, I'd completely forget that he has special needs. To me, he's just an annoying, funny, lovable seven-year-old boy who acts just like his crazy daddy!

Teresa =)

Smilen Champ said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Courtney is an amazing, courageous, strong, and determined fighter. She is a real inspirational hero, Brave Warrior and a Smilen Champion!
I was born with a rare life threatening disease.
www.miraclechamp.webs.com