Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 2 - She Moved Her Big Toe!

Yes, this is a big deal!!! Since Courtney has been with us, she has been unable to voluntarily move her left foot... which includes her toes. I thought I saw a little twitch yesterday, but I wasn't sure. Then, today, when the neurosurgeon was checking on her, she moved her big toe!!! It was ever so slight, but she did it!

In general, detether surgeries are performed to keep things from getting worse... it does not necessarily improve current function. With Katelyn, she was able to feel more at the bottom of her feet after her detether surgery. And now, Courtney is slightly moving her left big toe! It'll be interesting to see what happens when she starts to walk again. I wonder if her gait will change at all.

Overall, day 2 has been pretty good. She slept off and on last night. Today, she is tolerating the pain very well (she had a dose of Motrin around 10pm last night and again around 8:30am this morning... and nothing since then). She's more concerned about the IVs in her hands. She's also quite insistent on putting her shoes on so we can go home. Sorry, princess... gotta stay here for a couple more days (at least). They usually say the kids need to stay flat for 72 hours (3 days), but it seems that it's common for them to sit up after about 48 hours (which is what we did with Katelyn). I'm hoping that will be the case for Courtney too. She keeps wanting me to pick her up, and I'm eager to hold her.

I did get a quick peek at her incision today when our neurosurgeon came to check on her. It looks to be fairly long... maybe 5 inches or so. It's definitely longer than it was to begin with, but he had to do that in order to get down in there and do the repair job.

That's it for now. Will update more tomorrow!!!  :)

1 comment:

Adrian Roberta said...

amazing amazing amazing!!!