Thursday, August 26, 2010

Firsts...

We've had several "firsts" in the past week. Last Friday Courtney went to her first SB Clinic (it was Katelyn's 5th). For those that aren't familiar with Clinic... basically, we go and sit in a room and all the specialists come in to see us (much better than traveling to all the different offices). Then, when Clinic is over, the specialists meet to discuss each child. This gives everyone a chance to voice their opinions on how the child is doing and come up with a plan for treatment, etc.

Katelyn's docs were very pleased with her progress. We are to continue cathing every 3 hours or so... no need to put her on meds right now because her bladder and kidneys look healthy. She isn't completely dry between cathings, but we've managed that with using an incontinence pad. She's so happy to be wearing underwear now!!! Hey, it's a HUGE deal!!  :)

Courtney's bladder and kidneys look very healthy as well. We don't need to cath her at this point, yay! Ortho was not happy with the way her left foot was turning. She needs a new AFO to help reposition her foot... so we went to the orthotic place for the first time today to do the fitting. Did you know they make AFOs in different colors/designs?? Well, they do! Courtney wouldn't settle for a plain one... nope... she chose the purple one with butterflies. Guess I'll need to color coordinate her outfits to match her AFO now!!! Oh, and yes, I keep saying AFO, not AFOs. She doesn't need to wear the right one!! It's going to take a little while for her to get used to not wearing one on that leg/foot, but we're thrilled! While at the orthotic place, she was also fitted for Browne Bar Shoes. These will help prevent her feet from turning back in (she had castings done in China to correct her club feet). If she had been wearing them in China, she probably wouldn't need them anymore. I was told today that they normally have them wear the shoes till the kids are 2 or 3 at the oldest. BUT, since she didn't wear them in China, she'll have to wear them now. She just has to wear them at night, and I don't have to put the bar on till she falls asleep (I'll just need to put the shoes on then attach the bar after she falls asleep).

Now on to the neurosurgeon... the neurosurgeon was concerned about the lipoma left on her back and the dimple. Courtney also complained that it hurt when he was touching it. Due to the changes in her feet, the complaints of back/leg pain, etc, and the obvious lipoma/dimpling, we are going to proceed with a detether surgery (spinal cord release). Originally the neurosurgeon said we needed to do the surgery in the next 6 months or so... no longer than a year. Then, I got a phone call on Monday saying he wanted surgery done in the next 2 months. Something must have been discussed or perhaps he reviewed her films again back at the office... either way, we're looking at surgery in September. I'm waiting for a call back from scheduling... should know for sure later today. The neurosurgeon that performed Katelyn's detether, Dr Gegg, will also be doing Courtney's detether. We were very pleased with his work before, and he's so good with the kids.

UPDATE: Courtney's surgery has been scheduled for 8am on Wednesday, September 8th (less than two weeks from now). I'll blog about it for those that are interested in following along. You can view other info about Tethered Cord and Katelyn's TC surgery HERE.

On to another first... The first day of school!!! Monday was the first day of school for Osceola County. Andrew started 3rd grade, Jacob started Kindergarten and Katelyn started VPK (voluntary pre-kindergarten). All three kiddos are doing great! Jacob is even riding the bus!!! He was nervous about not knowing anyone in his class, but he has done very well. Andrew has been a wonderful big brother... he walked Jacob to his class on the first day and makes sure Jacob is ok on the bus and walking home from the bus stop. Here are some pics before the kiddos left on Monday...

And here are some pics of the girls playing dress up the other day... they were having way too much fun!!  :)

2 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Thank you for all the updates. I've been wondering if surgery on Courtney would get scheduled sooner based on some of the things you had shared earlier. Please know that I'll be thinking of you and I'll want to send a care package like we did for Katelyn. Super pictures. Best wishes with school start-up. I'm in denial that Emma is starting junior high.

Adrian Roberta said...

Such a good post for me to read. Ping isn't having any pain or effects, but we're still going for more testing with Urodynamics and Neuro. I'm learning as I read your blog.

Thanks!
Roberta