Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What does SB mean?

We embarked on our journey with Spina Bifida back in February 2008, when we found our first beautiful Chinese princess. Since then, I've been shortening the term Spina Bifida to simply SB. While lying in bed the other evening, it occurred to me that SB doesn't just stand for Spina Bifida. It stands for Special Blessing.

Our girls are such a special blessing to us. They have helped us have a better appreciation for things we might otherwise take for granted. They have opened our eyes to the simple joys in life. I've learned way more about how the digestive system works and what bowel control is all about than anyone not in the medical field should know. Because of them, I have found a new purpose in life, helping other families learn about Spina Bifida.

I've also been able to be a part of two amazing online groups... One group consists of other parents that have adopted a SB kiddo from China. The other is a group that mostly consists of moms (and some dads) that have given birth to a child with SB. Both of these groups have taught me so much. I read stories of strength and courage. I feel their pain and fear when their child is facing a new challenge. I relate to them when the doctor visit didn't go quite as planned... or when surgery is suggested... or when bowel issues come up (as they frequently do).

But through all that I've learned and experienced, I see how every single one of these families see their SB kiddo as a Special Blessing. These children are truly amazing in all that they can do... and we are all richly blessed to have them in our lives.

4 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Hugs and kisses to your Special Blessings. Beautiful post, Nicole. Love the new blog design too!

Anonymous said...

So true!!!
You serve as such a wonderful teacher and encourager. Keep up the good work!

Jamie said...

You are absolutely right! Such amazing and special blessings!!

Paulette said...

True speical blessings for you and you are their special blessing too.