Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Updates

Katelyn had her final post surgery follow up visit with the neurosurgeon yesterday. Everything looks good. She'll need to get another MRI done in a couple of months... this will be used as a base line to measure changes in the future.

Andrew is counting down the days till the end of the school year... 11 more after today. He has grown so much over this past year... emotionally, socially and intellectually. We are very proud of all his accomplishments this year.

Jacob and Katelyn began taking swim lessons last week. Unfortunately, due to the storms, they have missed 3 days in the pool. Katelyn was terrified at first to be getting into the pool with someone she didn't know... but now she loves it. She looks so tiny in the water. She's able to swim to the wall on her own now when the instructor lets her go. YAY! Jacob has had a tougher time. He was very unhappy about the whole thing, but he has calmed down and is at least trying to do what they ask. He's in a regular class that has about a dozen kids (with 2 instructors). Katelyn is in a super small class, so she gets individual attention the majority of the time. I know that Jacob can swim alone (for short periods of time)... it's just a matter of him gaining the confidence he needs.

Other than that... things have been pretty normal here. We've tried some new approaches to deal with Jacob's stubborness, and they seem to be working. He's been a much happier kid. Katelyn is a very typical 3 year old... and now she's discovered the art of crying at night and saying she's scared so she doesn't have to stay in her room. It worked the first couple of times because there was a thunderstorm and we thought maybe she really was scared... but then, when she started doing it for no reason at all, well... it's not working so well for her now. :o)

Guess that's about it for now... it's a pretty gloomy day here... warm soup and a nap (for me too if I can get the kids to sleep!!) sound pretty good right about now.

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'll join you in that nap too. I'm so impressed at how well Katelyn has bounced back. She's amazing. I'm ready for Chris, Emma and Josie to be done with school too. It will be nice to have a more relaxed morning routine. I'll be the only one going to school starting the 2nd week of June! I can't wait to stop packing lunches!! Woo hoo!!

Carrie said...

Amen-glad to hear all is well-another rainy day here too!

Meghan said...

I would love to know what strategies you are using with Jacob. Garrett is also showing many challenging behaviors lately. I think that you guys gave him a good option with salad instead of the beans. Both good for him- I remember being forced to eat something as a child, I can still smell it- it was welsh rarebit and I just couldn't eat it. I missed out on Dukes of Hazzard that night.